- orchestra, tenor soloist and choir
- Kani Maqubela
- Chorus with Orchestra/Large Ensemble
- Poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 2(II=picc).2.2.2 - 4331 - timp - perc(4): gc/tam-t/susp.cym/chimes/glsp/ptti - cel - harp - strings
Commissioned by Waterford Union High School
- First Performance
- FP: 05/01/2014 Waterford Union High School (Wisconsin, USA): Waterford Union High School Choirs, Derek Machan
Score and parts available for hire (outside North America).
Published by Warner/Chappell. Administered for hire worldwide (outside North America) by Faber Music Ltd
- Programme Notes
"Iza Ngomso" is the fourth movement of The Drop That Contained the Sea, and like the rest of the movements, is based on water in one of its unique naturally occuring states. In the case of "Iza Ngomso", a piece about clouds, the text is derived from an unusual translation of the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem "Kerabos": translated into Xhosa, one of the national languages of South Africa (and one of the African dialects that features prominent 'click' sounds).