- oboe and chamber ensemble of 6 players
- Mixed Chamber Ensemble
- fl(=picc).bcl - perc(1) tamb/4 tom-t/BD/crot/cast/glsp/roto tom - pno - vln.vlc
- Written for the oboist Alex Klein of Curitiba, Brazil, and commissioned by the Oberlin Contemporary Music Ensemble
- First Performance
- FP: 10.11.1994, No Venue (Oxford, United Kingdom): Festival Ensemble
Score and parts for hire
Faber Music Ltd. is the sole agent for Daugherty works published by Peermusic Classical in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
For these territories, contact the Faber Music Hire Library: http://www.fabermusic.com/content/hire-info
For other territories, including North and South America, South Korea and China, contact the Peermusic Classical Rental Library: http://www.subitomusic.com/rental/
- Programme Notes
- Firecracker (1991) is a concerto for solo oboe and chamber ensemble of flute(picc), bass clarinet, violin, cello, piano and percussion. It is a virtuosic piece spun off from the a motive, inspired by the diabolically difficult etudes of Antonio Pasculli (1842-1924), perhaps the greatest oboe virtuoso of his day: The musical fireworks are briefly interrupted by a playful tango interlude. The stereophonic stage arrangement of the ensemble emphasizes the deliberate spacial patterning of sound employed throughout the work, which I chose to call "visual music." Firecracker celebrates the rhythmic and explosive potential of the oboe and was written for Alex Klein, the award winning principal oboist of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and the Oberlin Contemporary Music Ensemble.