- chamber ensemble of 14 players and live electronics (diffused as surround sound)
- Electronics, Electronics with Live Performers, Mixed Chamber Ensemble
- 0.1.0.ssax.0 - 1.2.0.btbn.0 - perc(2) - egtr.bgtr - strings
Written as part of the London Sinfionetta's 'Blue Touch Paper' Scheme
- First Performance
- 30.4.07, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank Centre, London, UK: London Sinfonietta/Sound Intermedia/Ryan Wigglesworth
- Score and parts available for hire. Contact publisher for details on surround sound diffusion.
- Programme Notes
- flak was written in 2007 as part of the London Sinfonietta’s Blue Touch Paper project, a scheme set up to allow young composers the support to realise an ambitious project of their choosing.I saw my BTP project as a chance to write for electronics, something I hadn't really done before at that point ,and also to think about how I could incorporate some of the things I like about dance music and electronica into my writing.I've always planned my pieces in a graphic way and spent a lot of time thinking about what the roles of bits of material could be and why and how I would use the electronics at different moments to make full use of a surround sound environment.The brilliant Sound Intermedia constructed bespoke software for the piece to realise the ideas for the electronics I had which are all processed live.flak is split up into 4 sections:grabber: single notes within a line are grabbed and repeatedbuilding & loops: captured notes are transposed into rising scales and start to be propelled around the room - building into what I thought of as a ‘casino texture’ where just scales move in rising sequences.supsersize me: the individual characteristics of the instruments are exaggerated to highlight their differencesunify & robify: (a word I suspect I made up & which I have convinced myself means, '