- soprano saxophone and piano
- Written with the financial assistance of the Australia Council, the Commonwealth Government's Arts Funding and advisory body
- First Performance
- 6.12.99, Australia, Old Darlington School, Sydney: James Nightingale (sax)/Kerry Young
- Piano score and part (fp) 0-571-56677-4 on sale
- Programme Notes
- The two Night Pieces were written as contrasting movements. The first movement, "Night Song" contains a lyrical quality, and in particular there is a sense of nostalgic poignancy that should be conveyed. As the title suggests, the second movement, "Night Dance" is inspired by dance music, in particular some forms of middle-eastern music (hence the use of quarter-tones in the solo part). notes by Matthew Hindson.