O Hototogisu! - fragment of a Japonisme
- soprano, flute and large ensemble of 22 players
- Solo Voice(s) with Ensemble
- Adapted by the composer from Haiku poems of the 17th and 19th century.
- afl.ob(=ca).cl.bcl.bsn - 2 hn.tpt.trbn - perc(2) 1: glsp/high and low cym/small claves/hyoshigi (large Japanese claves)/mokusho (very high wdbl)/large tam-t 2: mar/rin/small Japanese drum/medium cym/2 whips (sprung)/3 tpbl/mcas/tgl/BD - pno(=cel) - harp - solo flute - solo soprano - 4 vln.2 vla.2 vlc.db
Co-commissioned by Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and Snape Maltings with financial assistance from Arts Council England, John Feeney Charitable Trust, BCMG’s Sound Investors and the Jonathan Reekie Leaving Fund.
- First Performance
- 23.6.2017, Aldeburgh Festival, Britten Studio, Snape, Suffolk, UK: Claire Booth/Marie-Christine Zupancic/Birmingham Contemporary Music Group/Oliver Knussen
Full score 0571541119 on sale, vocal score and parts for hire