Drop That Contained The Sea, The
- orchestra, soloists and choir
- Chorus with Orchestra/Large Ensemble
- 2(II=picc).2(II=ca).2(II=bcl).2(II=cbsn) - 4331 - timp - perc(5): gc/sd/tom-toms/tam-t/sus.cym/ptti/gongs (in a and c)/chimes/glsp/xylo/singing bowls/fingcym/windchimes/whip/shkr/tamb/riq/udu/darabuka/djembe/frame drum/table - pno(celeste) - harp - strings
- Xhosa, Portuguese, Sanskrit, Ancient Greek
- First Performance
- FP: 13.04.2014 Carnegie Hall (New York, USA): Distinguished Concerts Orchestra and Choir,Jonathan Griffith
Score and parts available for hire (outside North America).
Published by Warner/Chappell. Administered for hire worldwide (outside North America) by Faber Music Ltd
- Programme Notes
The Drop That Contained the Sea is a collection of works on the theme of water. Each of the 10 pieces is sung in a different language, exploring a different vocal tradition: Bulgarian women's choirs, Mongolian throat singing, and Portuguese fado, to name just a few. Each piece also deals with water in a different form, arranged in the order that water flows through the world: melting snow, mountain streams, rivers, the ocean, and so forth. And like Calling All Dawns, the end of the album flows back into the beginning, reflecting the endless nature of the water cycle.