- Solo cello and chamber ensemble of 5 players
- Solo Instrument(s) with Ensemble
- fl(=picc).cl - perc(1): 2 bongo/2 tgl/castanets/chimes/tamb/crot/SD - vln
- First Performance
- FP: 22.05.2013, Teatro Dell'elfomilano, Milan: Sentieri Selvaggi
Score and parts for hire
Faber Music Ltd. is the sole agent for Daugherty works published by Peermusic Classical in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
For these territories, contact the Faber Music Hire Library: http://www.fabermusic.com/content/hire-info
For other territories, including North and South America, South Korea and China, contact the Peermusic Classical Rental Library: http://www.subitomusic.com/rental/
- Programme Notes
- Jackie's Song I composed Jackie's Song as a prelude to my opera Jackie O (1995-97). I imagine Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (1929-1994) as a solitary and melancholy figure, after the assassination of her first husband John F. Kennedy in Dallas in 1962. My composition is a song without words, for chamber ensemble and solo cello. A mournful cello line is performed by the soloist, who plays in the extreme upper range of the instrument. The solo gradually ascends to a prolonged high C that is suddenly cut short by a riveting snare drum rim-shot. This elegiac theme, comprised of a tritone and a perfect fifth interval, is the compositional core for many of the melodies and harmonies of the composition; later, it became the leitmotif of Jackie in my opera.