These Four Pieces were composed separately by Frank Bridge between the years 1901 and 1910 and have appeared in print in several different versions, ranging from piano solo to full orchestra. They were all originally written, however, for cello and piano, and have become particularly important pieces within Cello repertoire. The editor - Julian Lloyd Webber - has been responsible for the addition of bowings and fingerings.